Cash gifts are only one way to support the Friends of the library. Often, it is more advantageous to the donor to give appreciated assets or a gift through your estate plan. Please call Executive Director Loretta Patterson at 310-921-7505 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternative giving opportunities that are best suited to your personal circumstances.
Here are some ways to support the Friends:
- Gift of appreciated securities, stocks and bonds. These assets provide considerable tax advantages when transferred to the Friends before they are sold. If you have held your securities for more than one year, you may find that your gift provides a twofold tax benefit, creating an income-tax deduction as well as helping avoid capital gains tax.
- Gift of real estate. Commercial property, personal residences, second homes, income property, and vacant land all offer a wide variety of tax and other benefits.Gif
- Gift of personal property. Tangible items such as rare books, works of art, and valuable collectibles of demonstrable value in some cases may enable you to make a significant gift to support the Friends with tax benefits to you. Gifts of intangible personal property, such as copyrights, patents, and mineral rights, can generate income for the program or service of your choice on a continuing basis.
- Bequest or Legacy Gift. For donors who wish to leave a legacy, a bequest or planned gift may be the answer. This type of donation can make a significant philanthropic impact and demonstrate your belief in the importance of the Palos Verdes Library District. It can be as simple as placing a paragraph of instructions in your will, life trust, or income trust, or by adding the name of the nonprofit to an IRA or life insurance policy beneficiary form. Through careful planning, your charitable gift may eliminate or reduce estate, income or gift taxes, and preserve more of your assets for family and charity. Please see the Ruby Hale Field Legacy Society brochure for more information.
- Matching gift program. An easy way to double or even triple your donation to the Friends is to find out if your company has a matching gift program. Such programs usually match all or a portion of employee contributions to charitable organizations. Simply obtain a matching gift form from your employer’s personnel office, fill it out, and provide it to the Friends with your contribution.
- Endowment. An endowment is a fund that works like a permanent savings account from which the principle is never consumed and only the interest can be spent. Peninsula Friends of the Library has established an endowment and our plan is to increase the endowment each year. The current endowment is $1.5 million and our goal is to reach $5 million over time. This may seem ambitious, but we believe it is possible thanks to the support of your generous neighbors and other forward-looking donors. A large endowment contributes to the library’s continuing financial health and secures its place in our community for many years ahead.
- Naming opportunities. A lasting way to show your appreciation for the library is to name one of its parts, such as a study room, the circulation desk, or one of the young readers’ story rooms. If you’d like to show your appreciation for PVLD, there are still plenty of spots in all three branches waiting to be named in all three branches.
“Our entire family has benefited tremendously from the Palos Verdes Library, its resources, programs, services, and everything that it has to offer. It is essential that the library be able to continue its mission to serve our community for generations to come. We are proud to include “Friends of the Library” in our estate plan, because it supports our legacy as a family that is committed to education and insures that future Peninsula residents will benefit from this vital community resource just as we have.”
– The Lennertz Family
If you would like to learn more about how you can contribute to the future of the library, please contact Loretta Patterson, Executive Director, at 310-921-7505 or email@example.com.