We raise money and we raise our voices to ensure a first-class public library for the Peninsula. We are what our name implies: a collection of committed, caring individuals who share a common vision of an excellent, free public library.
All the Pieces Add Up
The Palos Verdes Library District is a special district with its own governing board of trustees. PVLD libraries at Peninsula Center, Malaga Cove and Miraleste receive about 87% of their revenues from the Peninsula’s property tax levies. Another 8% comes from revenue-generating activities such as notary and passport services, facility rentals, and interest income with minimal state funding.
The Peninsula Friends of the Library, the official fund-raising organization for PVLD, currently provides 5% of PVLD revenues from support it receives from membership dues, donations, grants, book sales and gift shop proceeds.
Joining the friends helps us to carry out the mission of the Peninsula Friends of the Library. Joining does not mean that you will be volunteering your time as well, although we certainly welcome volunteers.
Membership Helps You and the District
You will be helping us to:
- Update and expand the Palos Verdes Library District’s collections of books, reference materials, homework and foreign language resources and equipment
- Sponsor summer reading programs for children of all ages.
- Cultivate learning and personal enrichment through special classes, lectures and exhibits.
- Provide Sunday hours of operation at Peninsula Center Library.
- Fund the Annex, a special place for teens and seniors.
- Provide free Internet services at all branches.
- Assist with collection enhancement, CDs, DVDs, genealogy, foreign language and audio books.
- Purchase or upgrade furnishings and equipment.
- Provide printing and mailing of the Peninsula Friends UPDATE newsletter.
- Host volunteer recognition programs.
- Discount of 10% on Library Gift Shop purchases of $5.00 or more.
- The quarterly Friends newsletter mailed to your home.
- Special workshops and events.
- That really good feeling we all get when we know we are making a difference.
Peninsula Friends of the Library memberships are now good for one full year from the month you joined or renewed, not just the remainder of the calendar year. We now have more than 1500 members and we are growing all the time.
Become a Member Today
Visit our online membership form to join today or if you click the link below, you can print out our categories of giving and our membership form. Then mail it to the address listed. Thank you for your support!
In addition to individual memberships, when you open the link above to join, note that we gratefully accept Business Members as well. If you click our Business Members link, you will see the recognition we give to our business partners.