The Peninsula Friends of the Library is a California 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation and is the sole fundraising organization of the Palos Verdes Library District. This all-volunteer membership organization was founded by a group of devoted library supporters in 1961 to enhance the services and programs of our Peninsula libraries. Currently, more than 800 Friends provide the financial resources to ensure that the library district has the funds necessary to continue vital programs and services. In fact, it provides 5% of the library’s budget, without which, the peninsula libraries would be forced to reduce operating hours and cut services.
Money raised by the Friends through memberships, donations, gift shop sales, used book sales, and fundraising events provides approximately $400,000 yearly. These funds support many library services and programs, including:
- Sunday hours at the Peninsula Center Library
- Summer Reading Program
- Internet and Wi-Fi access at all three libraries
- Library Update newsletter
- Special purchases of items for the library collections, furnishings, and equipment
- The Annex, a safe meeting place for teens
- Story time programs
- eBooks, eMagazines, and subscriptions to online services
- Movie screenings, concerts, and community events
- Library Gift Shop
- On-line language programs
- Used book sales - generating over $200,000 annually
- Renovation and maintenance of PVLD facilities
- Endowment fund to support PVLD’s long-term capital and operating needs
Equally important, the Friends support a volunteer program of nearly 150 individuals who together give more than 24,000 hours of their time each year. In addition to working in the Library Shop and helping with the Used Book Sales, volunteers organize Books for Troops and give countless hours of their time repairing, shelving, and cataloging books.
Please become a member today and join the generous Friends who make a big difference in the libraries and in our community.